Family therapist Lorraine LaVigne spoke to a group of 20 people at the Thursday night and explained to them how to deal with the stress of finding a new job.
“The higher the stress, the more difficult it is to get moving and do the things you have to do,” she said. “You want to go out [on a job interview] as someone who believes in yourself.”
LaVigne suggested the following tips for limiting stress:
- Surround yourself with people who support you emotionally rather than bring you down.
- Find someone who will listen to you when you have a bad day
- Don't beat yourself
- Eat properly
- Limit your caffeine and alcohol
"The chemicals released by exercising help your body fight the bad effects of stress," she said.
LaVigne also showed those in attendance deep breathing exercises and how they can be an easy way to relive stress. The technique is as follows:
- Sit or stand in a relaxed posture.
- Breathe in through your nose.
- Expand your stomach and hold for about five seconds.
- Breathe out through your mouth, collapsing your stomach.
- Repeat as necessary.
The meets every Thursday from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at . The group is free of charge. A new each week.
For more information, email email@example.com or call 860-380-0581.