The following release was submitted by the Rocky Hill Fire Department:
The would like to remind everyone of the following Fire Safety Tips.
- Although three out of four families have one or more smoke detectors in their homes, it is believed that one third to one half are not maintained or are disabled to limit nuisance alarms.
- Consequently, a large percentage of all fire deaths take place in residences not equipped with working smoke detectors.
- Installation and maintenance of smoke detectors is an important component of a home Fire Safety Program.
- Smoke detectors should be installed on every level of the home, and cleaned and tested at least once a month.
- The batteries should be changed twice a year when you change your clocks.
- If your home is without smoke detectors, you can purchase them at hardware stores and home improvement centers.