Look out Subway, there's a new sandwich in town! Introducing an antioxidant packed vegetable sandwich that will help you get in your vegetable servings, along with crunch, succulent mouth-watering flavors that will satisfy a healthy appetite. I don't know about you, but crunch and flavor are important to me, I've never been one to “drink” my food in a form of a shake.
I call this sandwich creation, Salad in a Sandwich. Feel free to vary the ingredients and use whatever is available in your fridge, be creative, have fun and enjoy!
Revealing my “no gourmet skills required'” Salad in a Sandwich ingredients:
- Bread – Ezekiel,(sprouted grain) or Flaxseed (a healthy bread) toasted or not
- Spread hummus on both slices, any type you like, but try the healthy ones
Starting from the bottom up:
- Load up fresh spinach, kale or Swiss chard (all delicious, packed with calcium and antioxidant powerhouses)
- Pile on (no specific order): zucchini, red peppers, mushrooms (sauteed) w/a few splashes of EVOO and balsamic vinegar and flavor with spices such as basil, pepper and oregano
- Roasted peppers (evaporate the oil)
- Pickle chips
- Fresh slices of avocado (lots of heart-healthy unsaturated fats)
- Cheese (optional)
OK, you're thinking, where's the protein, add in some cheese if you like, there are small amounts of protein in the hummus and the leafy greens, but feel free to serve with a high protein-filled grain or eat with a handful of healthy nuts! I love to enjoy an apple topped with a bit of healthy natural peanut butter!
I like to cut up and saute enough vegetables for a few days so it is readily available!
Check back next week for dinner, you won't believe this healthy creative version of a protein-filled delicious Cobb Salad and yes, no gourmet skills required!
Lynn MacDonald,Personal Trainer/Registered Yoga Teacher