.

This Weekend in Rocky Hill: 5K for Haiti, Alzheimer's Benefit and Military Appreciation

Looking for stuff to do this weekend? There's plenty going on in and around Rocky Hill.

1. The weather is looking pretty good this weekend. The sun will shine Friday and Saturday and temperatures should be in the mid to upper 70s, according to the National Weather Service.

Overnight Saturday and into Sunday morning could see some showers or maybe even a thunderstorm, but right now it's only a 30 percent chance of rain so we can hope that Rocky Hill is in the 70 percent.

2. If you're up for a walk, run or roll Saturday morning, head on over to the Saint Elizabeth Seton Church where you can take part in the annual Hoof it for Haiti 5K event.

Runners, walkers, wheelchair athletes, and families are encouraged to meet at the church on Brook Street to register and stretch before hitting the pavement at 9:30 a.m.

Proceeds from the event will be used to help feed, educate, shelter and provide medical care for children and adults in the twinning parish of St. Anne’s parish in Saintard, Haiti. 

3. There's an open house and Alzheimer's benefit scheduled for Sunday at The Tennis & Fitness Center of Rocky Hill.

The event will include an introduction to various classes, particularly for older clientele. Though the event is free, center staff asks that people consider donating to the Alzheimer's Association to help them reach their running goal of $1,000.

4. It's Military Appreciation Day at the Porter and Chester Institute on Waterchase Drive on Saturday. The event is open to the public, but will focus on soldiers, veterans and their families. Some of the food and activities planned include:

  • FREE Hotdogs and Hamburgers
  • Bounce house for the kids
  • Military Recognition Ceremony
  • National Guard Vehicles on Display
  • VA Services Representative on hand
  • Local Safety and Emergency On-Hand

5. OK, so it's not an event or an attraction this weekend, but it's certainly something worth mentioning: Rocky Hill's Nicholas Italia was one of 43 students from Northwest Catholic High School in West Hartford to be named an AP Scholar.

Congratulations, Nicholas!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »