The staff at the Connecticut Humane Society is noticing a growing problem at their Newington facility and others throughout the state. The population of cats, including kittens, is increasing rapidly and the staff is not sure why and the staff needs the public's help.
"We have many of them who would love to go home with you," Public Relations Director Alicia Wright said about the increased population of felines at the shelter.
Puss & Boots is one of those kittens looking for a new home. She is a 4-month-old Domestic Shorthair kitten and is a great companion for children of any age and other pets. She can live in any style of home including apartments, according to the Connecticut Humane Society staff.
"She is such a purr box," Wright said.
Before you go to the shelter know that the prices to adopt a cat or kitten vary:
- Kittens up to 6 months: $200
- Adolescent cats 7-12 months: $140
- Cats 1-7 years old: $90
- Cats over 8 years old: $40
When adopting a cat or kitten from the Connecticut, you will receive the following benefits:
- A consultation with the society’s adoption staff will help select the most suitable animal companion for your lifestyle.
- Spay or neuter surgery.
- Flea Treatment and worming.
- Preliminary inoculations including rabies for dogs/cats over 3 months old and distemper.
- Identification tags and rabies tag if applicable.
- Starter supply of food.
- Pet care information.
- A medical evaluation and treatment for problems that have been discovered during the exam. Adopters must assume full responsibility for any medical care incurred after the date of adoption.
- Additionally, some of our available animals have received extensive medical treatment while within our care.
- All cats and dogs are microchipped prior adoption.
- All cat and dog adopters are eligible for a free 30-day ShelterCare gift pet insurance policy. Certain restrictions apply.
If you are interested in Puss & Boots or any of the other cats at the Connecticut Humane Society, log onto its website to see a gallery of all the adoptable pets and to learn about the adoption rules and procedures.
The Connecticut Humane Society is located at 701 Russell Rd. in Newington and its phone number is (800) 452-0114. The hours of operation are Monday through Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Sundays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
If you have plenty of pets at home, but still want to help out these great animals, the organization is always accepting donations of food, toys and supplies.